George Kambosos’ legal team ask IBF to find Triller in default for title fight with Teofimo Lopez
George Kambosos’ legal advisor on Tuesday sent a letter to the IBF asking the organization to find Triller in breach of his obligation to honor the contracts signed to deliver the lightweight title fight with Teofimo Lopez on October 4 at the Hulu Theater from New York to MSG.
In the letter, of which ESPN obtained a copy, Kambosos’ attorney, Greg Smith, wrote that Triller had made a false statement to Lopez that Kambosos had signed an amendment to the contract allowing the fight to be moved, and that unlike the The endorsement signed by Lopez, the contract offered to Kambosos does not specify the Barclays Center in Brooklyn as the venue.
Kambosos, through his lawyer, also objected to Triller’s refusal to show proof of funds by depositing the fighters’ handbags before his scheduled flight from Australia (he resides in Sydney) to his destination. from New York ; furthermore, he said that Triller had reneged on previous marketing agreements.
Smith wrote that Kambosos – despite the death of his grandfather and the birth of his child last week – is ready, willing and able to fight on Monday.
“Triller broke the contract, lied to the IBF about Mr. Kambosos’ agreement to move the fight and attempted to coerce Mr. Kambosos into carrying out an amendment that is not in line with the IBF [rules] in that he does not specify a location, “Smith wrote.” Triller should be declared in default … and should be excluded from future scholarship offers for his egregious behavior. “
Kambosos and Lopez, the undisputed 135-pound champion, signed contracts to host the fight on Monday at New York’s Hulu Theater at MSG. Triller then decided to move the fight to October 16, wishing to avoid competition with ESPN’s Monday Night Football, although the NFL schedule was released in May. However, the organization needed both fighters to approve the date change as contracts were filed with the New York State Athletic Commission and the IBF, the sanctioning body that ordered the fight.
If the IBF finds Triller in default, the rights to the fight will revert to Matchroom Sport of Eddie Hearn, who will look to host the fight on DAZN before the end of the year, sources told ESPN.
Triller won the February scholarship offer with a commitment of $ 6.018 million, edging out Hearn ($ 3.506 million) and Top Rank ($ 2.315 million). Lopez, the champion, is entitled to 65 percent percent and is expected to earn $ 3.9117 million; Kambosos is expected to earn $ 2,106,300. Both would be high career salaries. If Triller is found in default and Hearn chooses to exercise his rights to the bout, Lopez’s salary would drop to $ 2.2789 million and Kambosos would drop to $ 1.2271 million.
However, Triller would lose his $ 1.2 million deposit to the IBF in this scenario, with $ 780,000 for Lopez and $ 420,000 for Kambosos. Lopez and Kambosos could be looking to collect more money in a lawsuit against Triller in this scenario. Triller has already canceled his reservation with Madison Square Garden and lost a $ 100,000 deposit.
“It’s nothing more than Kambosos trying to extort Triller,” Triller co-founder Ryan Kavanaugh told ESPN. He said Kambosos had asked for $ 380,000 to sign the amendment to move the fight. âIt’s a sad day for boxing. We’re paying him nearly 10 times his next highest salary, almost $ 2.5 million. We secured Barclays, made our deposits, signed with Lopez, and Kambosos made financial and other demands after confirming that the date is actually better than 4. “
âWe signed and paid an advance to Lopez and made the same offer to Kambosos,â Kavanaugh added. âThis is an outright shakedown and says a lot about his character. If we give in to that, imagine what every future event would hold for Triller when he’s a fighter that really matters.â
Lopez (16-0, 12 KOs) hasn’t fought since a career best performance in October, a decisive victory over great Vasiliy Lomachenko pound-for-pound to capture all four belts at 135 pounds. The Brooklyn native, 24, who would benefit from a comeback fight at the Barclays Center, is the No. 1 lightweight and No. 5 ESPN boxer.
Kambosos (19-0, 16 KOs) is ESPN’s No.9 lightweight. The 28-year-old won a title eliminator against Lee Selby in October to become the mandatory challenger.
Lopez is in the middle of a multi-year deal with Top Rank, which has an exclusive deal with ESPN. After the failure of negotiations between the boxer and his promoter, the rights of the fight moved towards a purse offer. The fight was scheduled for June 19 in Miami before Lopez tested positive for COVID-19 a few days before the fight.
âNone of this makes sense to Triller,â Kavanaugh said. âOn the one hand, he fights in about 14 days and wins almost $ 2.5 million, a chance for multiple belts and proving people wrong that he’s not just afraid to fight.
âOn the other hand, it is causing Triller to lose millions more than we have already done due to the COVID issues.